Saturday, August 3, 2024

NIV Bible App by Tercata Retired from Google Play Store

 Mobile phone applications (apps) do not have a sell-by-date. At least I do not recall seeing such a date for the NIV Bible app by Tercata when I purchased it for USD $5.99 on 18 Dec 2011 from the Android Market (now called the Google Play Store). So I was surprised and frustrated to see a message on my phone that said “ … app has been retired (removed from the Play Store) and has been replaced by our NEW Life Bible app.” 

The (classic) NIV Bible app which worked offline was first released on 6 May 2010 and true to their claim it was fast and easy to use. On the app information there were 5 million downloads of the app. The last version of the app was version 8.0.2 updated on 8 Sep 2020 and seems to have received its last minor (bug fixes) update on 22 Jan 2024.

The recommended Life Bible by Tercata does not work offline, it seems to have most of the navigation features of my old NIV Bible app but does not look the same or as good. Upgrading to the premium version will cost KES 800 (USD $6) per month or KES 8,400 (USD $65) per annum. That is a very bad deal, a worse app at a much higher cost. I must say I did not explore the option of registering an account with Tercata which would have enabled me to “ … transfer my purchases and data …” as it sounded I would be moving items purchased in the app rather than get the new app for free. 

I need a Bible app that I can use offline as I do not want to see ads in the app. So I have opted instead for the other NIV Bible app by Tercata which has the option of paying for a offline download at a one time cost of KES 1,035 (USD $8). A slightly better deal than the Life Bible but I am still disappointed as it is not as good as the app I have been using for the last 13 years. I am also grateful to the developers of that app and that they sold it for a modest sum and have continued to support it for so many years.

My fingers are crossed that the NIV Bible app will not also be retired as I will most certainly not be paying for the Life Bible app.

No comments:

Post a Comment